Free for day-to-day banking transactions¹
- As long as you are a full-time student at school, you pay absolutely nothing for your day-to-day banking transactions
- With a debit card, you can shop and pay for your purchases directly from your account, and it also saves you carrying cash around. It’s quick, easy and a better way to pay. Find out more
- Charges will apply when you use your card outside the UK. Please see our Student Account Charges Explained brochure for details
Interest while your account is in credit
- To make sure that the money in your account is working for you we will pay interest on it when you’re in credit.
- You can get up-to-date information on interest rates here
- Text alerts help you stay in control of your money and help prevent fraud on your account. Find out more
Interest-free and fee-free arranged overdrafts up to £3,000*
Just need a little something to tide you over? Apply for an arranged overdraft on your 3rd level student account while you wait for your next student loan payment to come through and, if this is approved, you won’t have to pay interest and fees.
An overdraft allows you to borrow using your current account and is intended for short term borrowing. An arranged overdraft is an agreement allowing you to borrow money when you have no money left in your account.
If we allow you to borrow money when you have no money left in your account (or we allow you to go past your arranged overdraft limit) this will create an unarranged overdraft on your account which may give rise to higher interest or other charges. Alternatively, we may refuse to allow payments to be made from your account. Please see our unarranged overdraft section for full details.
Every time you apply for an overdraft, we will ask your permission to undertake a credit search. A record of the search will be kept by Credit Reference Agency (CRA). We will also share information about the running of the account such as limit and balances as well as payment performance and this could impact your ability to obtain credit elsewhere within a short period of time.
Before applying for an overdraft you can find out how likely you are to be approved by using our overdraft eligibility tool and you can use our overdraft cost calculator to work out how much overdraft interest you will pay.
For more information and how to apply go please go to our overdrafts section.
1Refers to money coming in to or out of the account for as long as the holder is a full-time student. No monthly transaction fees are applied by the bank for lodgements or withdrawals from the account. Charges may apply for extra services, for example replacing a Bank of Ireland UK Cash Card or bank drafts. Please see our Schedule of service charges for personal customers brochure for details.*Our lending conditions apply to overdraft facilities. Applicants must be over 18 years.