Suspicious texts (Smishing)
Fraudsters may send texts pretending to be from Bank of Ireland. They target mobile users by sending texts with links to fraudulent websites to trick you into providing your online banking details or card details. Remember: Bank of Ireland will never send you a link asking you to confirm your personal banking details.
- Text messages claiming to be from your bank, asking you to confirm financial or personal information.
- Often they claim that urgent action is needed or there will be negative consequences.
- They may ask you to click on a link directing you to a website, or to provide a number to call in order to “verify” or “update” your personal current account.
- Fake links lead to fake websites where you may be asked to provide personal information. The fraudster then uses that information to transfer money from your account.
- Do not respond unless you are entirely satisfied that the text is genuine. If you are not sure, we can check it for you – just send it to email@example.com and we’ll let you know if it was really from us. Remember to include the phone number that the text was sent from, or forward a screenshot of the text if possible.
- Do not use a phone number provided in the text which could be fake.
- Do not click on any links.
- Delete the text.
- If you have clicked on a suspicious link, call us as soon as possible.
You should never
- Click on or open suspicious links and attachments.
- Respond to unsolicited text messages.
- Share your banking details, including your full online banking PIN, or other personal information if requested via text message.
Bank of Ireland will never
- Send you a text with a link directly to the login page of our online banking channels.
- Ask you to provide all the digits of your six-digit 365 PIN.
- Ask you to transfer money out of your account to protect yourself from fraud.
If you suspect suspicious activity on your account, or if you have provided personal information in response to a suspicious email, text or telephone call, please contact us as soon as possible on the below contact numbers:
Freephone (Personal accounts): 0800 121 7790 (24 hours, 7 days a week).
Freephone (Business accounts): 0800 032 1288 (24 hours, 7 days a week).
365 Online: 0345 7 365 555
Business Online: 0345 309 8123
365 Online: 0345 7 365 333
Business Online: 0345 309 8124
Republic of Ireland
365 Online: 0818 210 620/ 0818 365 365
Business Online: 0818 818 265
365 Online: +44 345 7365 555
Business Online: +353 1 440 6445
365 Opening hours: Monday-Friday: 8am-8pm, Saturday: 9am-5pm, Bank and Public holidays: 10am-5pm, Sunday: Closed.
Business Online Opening hours: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm. Closed Saturday, Sunday, Bank and Public holidays.
If we need to contact you about a potential fraud on your account, we will do this via a secure channel including, but not limited to, SMS or email.