Arranging for someone to help you manage your account

There may be circumstances now or in the future where you might need someone else to support you in managing your accounts. This may be your partner, family member, friend or professional.

Depending on the level of support you require there are different types of third party access. These may include a Third Party Mandate, Power of Attorney, Court Order or Appointeeship.

Third Party Mandate

A Third Party Mandate is a formal authority which allows your chosen person to speak with your financial services provider about your accounts.

This may be useful for example if you are going into hospital or are planning on taking a long trip abroad.

To arrange a Third Party Mandate with us visit our Contact Us page or your local branch.


Power of Attorney

A Power of Attorney (POA) is a legal arrangement allowing another person(s), known as an ‘Attorney(s)’, to act on your behalf.

Types of POA differ depending on which country you live in and what level of support you wish to put in place.

For full details visit the relevant organisation:

Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunals Service

England and Wales
Office of the Public Guardian

Office of the Public Guardian

Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) Appointeeship
A DWP Appointeeship allows someone to manage your DWP benefits on your behalf if you are unable to make financial decisions. The DWP benefit would be paid directly to your appointee who should manage the funds in your best interests.
Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits – GOV.UK



Once you are in receipt of your chosen authority we can support you to register it on your accounts.
Visit our Contact Us page or your local branch.