Identity theft occurs when someone steals your personal information and uses it to impersonate you. They can carry out fraudulent activity such as trying to access your bank accounts, opening a credit card account in your name or getting payment from a supplier.
- Be careful when posting personal information online, including on social media. The more information you post online about yourself the easier it may be for a fraudster to steal your identity.
- Never give your card PIN to anyone.
- Cancel lost or stolen credit and debit cards immediately.
- Lock all valuable documents away. Ensure they are in a secure place.
- Ensure to clear all information on your device before selling it
- Shred confidential information. Always shred any confidential information such as bank statements or cheque books before you throw them away.
- Inform all service providers promptly when moving address. Set up a mail forwarding arrangement with the Post Office.
As soon as you believe your card has been lost or stolen, please contact us as soon as possible via our Freephone numbers listed below. We’ll cancel your card as soon as you tell us it’s missing and get a new card issued to your address (the one we have on file for you) in 5 to 7 working days.
Fraud, suspicious activity or unauthorised transactions?
To report online fraud, suspicious activity, unauthorised transactions on your account or ATM fraud, please contact us as soon as possible via our Freephone numbers listed below.
Shared your online login details?
If you have shared your banking details in response to a suspicious email, text or call, please notify us as soon as possible via the Freephone numbers listed below.
Report a suspicious email or text
To report suspicious Bank of Ireland UK related emails or texts (both personal and business customers), send the suspicious email or text to email@example.com
Emergency Contact Numbers
You can contact us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on:
Calling from UK
Freephone: 0800 121 7790 (personal customers)
Freephone: 0800 032 1288 (Business On Line and Global Market Customers)
Calling from ROI
Freephone: 1800 946 764 (personal and business)
Calling from Overseas
Not Freephone: 00353 567 757 007
Please note: If we need to contact you about a potential fraud on your account, we will do this via a secure channel including, but not limited to, SMS or email.