Life events

When a challenging life event happens and you’re faced with having to sort out finances, you may not know where to turn.
We’re here to guide you through the next steps and give you the support you need.

We know it’s a difficult time when you lose a loved one. As well as dealing with all the emotional upset, you probably need to sort their legal and financial affairs as well.

We want to assure you that when the time comes, our dedicated team are waiting and we’ll do all we can to help you. All you need to do is get in touch.

‘Tell us once’ service

When you contact us, let us know of any other accounts we hold with the person who has passed away. We’ll then make sure the right teams know what’s happened and they’ll be in contact with you.

Other support

You may find you need other means of support. That’s why we’ve put together a pack which has lots of useful information about what to do when someone close to you passes away.

Your property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage

When a relationship ends it can be difficult to know where to start with your finances. There are so many things to think about it may seem confusing. We’re here to help and can offer support – visit our help and guidance section for practical advice on things to consider when you separate.

There are also lots of organisations that can offer you advice during this difficult time. It may help to talk to a relationship counsellor or join a local support group. Relate, the UKs leading relationship support organisation, provides advice and counselling online, over the phone and face-to-face.

The important thing is keeping us up to date with your contact details so we know how to get in touch when we need to.

Financial or domestic abuse

If you’re suffering from financial or domestic abuse and need us to contact you safely to discuss your mortgage, you can let us know how you would like to be contacted and when is a good time by completing this form.

Your property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage

If the unexpected happens, it might help to ask someone else like a spouse, partner, family member or solicitor to look after your finances for you. There are several ways this can be arranged, depending on the help you need and how long you need it for.

Our getting help section has information on how to apply for third party authority or power of attorney.

Let us know if you need support in any way – knowing how you plan on managing your mortgage going forwards makes it easier for us to offer you the right support. Call us on 0345 300 8000*. If you would rather not pick up the phone, you can contact us via your hub at a time to suit you.


*Calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. We’re closed on Bank Holidays. 03 calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02). Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call packages.

Your property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage

Losing your job can be hard, especially if it means you’ll struggle financially. Get in touch if you find yourself in this situation and are worried about paying your mortgage.

Thousands of borrowers get help from their lender every year. Having a conversation with us won’t affect your credit score. The earlier you get in touch, the easier it will be for us to help you.

What help do you offer if I’m struggling to pay my mortgage?

  • You may find switching to a new fixed rate deal could make your payments more affordable. This may also help you to manage your finances better. Visit our get a new deal page if you’re on a variable rate or a fixed interest rate which is due to end within the next six months.
  • Check out our Mortgage Charter page to see what support we offer if you have a residential mortgage and your payments are up to date.
  • Visit our financial worries page if you’re already in arrears, or not able to switch your rate or apply for Mortgage Charter support. This section also has lots of other information you might find useful, including what to do next.

Further help and support

The following organisations can help with any financial concerns you might have. They offer free and independent financial advice:

  • Citizens Advice Bureau provide information about your rights if you’ve been made redundant
  • Direct.Gov is the UK government website offering guidance on finding work, claiming benefits, managing debts and pensions
  • help help find local help with benefits, work, money, housing problems and more
  • MoneyHelper has easy to read guidance to help you through losing your job
  • StepChange assist, support and advise people in financial difficulty
  • Visit our help and guidance page for other things to consider. We also have contact details if you hold other accounts with us.

What is mental health?

Mental health is something that affects all of us and is just as important as your physical health. It’s how you feel from an emotional, psychological and social point of view. This means it affects how you think, the decisions you make and how you manage daily activities or relate to other people. For example, you may find it difficult making decisions about your finances and how you manage your money.

How do I know if my mental health is suffering?

Problems with your mental health aren’t always easy to spot. It’s good to know when you might be suffering so you can act on it straight away.

Some signs to look out for are:

  • Getting angry or being aggressive, but you can’t explain why
  • Having negative thoughts, such as suicide or self-harming
  • Experiencing mood swings or not wanting to do anything
  • Finding things more confusing, or daily activities become harder to cope with
  • Feeling anxious about paying bills or how much money you have in your bank account
  • Sleeping more or less than normal, or waking up a lot during the night
  • Avoiding social groups, even if it’s meeting with friends and family
  • Stopping the things you used to enjoy.

If you start to notice these signs, the NHS website and Mind have advice on how to take care of your mental wellbeing.

What help can you offer me?

We understand that worrying about money and your mortgage can affect your mental health. Please let us know if you need support managing your mortgage or you just want to talk to us. We’ll work with you to see how we can help. This could mean changing how often we contact you, the way we contact you, or arranging for someone to talk to us on your behalf – visit our Third Party Authority page for details.

You can also manage your mortgage or ask us any questions using your hub. Once you’ve registered, it’s available seven days a week, at a time that suits you.

Visit our financial worries page if you’re concerned about the cost of living or paying your mortgage. This also has details on where to go to for help with your other finances.

What will you do with my information?

You may find it difficult to tell us about any mental health issues, so give us as much or as little information as you want. We’ll only use what you tell us about your health to help you. We’ll keep anything you say confidential.

Where else can I get help with my mental health?

For advice on mental health here’s where you can get help:

  • Visit your doctor. They may be able to help you with treatment and could refer you to another professional.
  • Get in touch with a charity that give free help and support. Some popular charities are:
    • Mind support and advise people to help them understand and manage their mental health
    • Mental Health UK bring together the expertise of four charities; Rethink Mental Illness (England), Hafal (Wales), Support in Mind Scotland and Mindwise (Northern Ireland). They provide support and services for those facing mental health challenges with alcoholism, money problems, loneliness and isolation
    • Samaritans help and support people all day and night, who are in or may end up in a crisis
    • Anxiety UK provide support and relief to anyone dealing with anxiety, stress or depression. Family, friends and carers can also get help.
  • Visit the NHS website for more information about mental health.