Useful information

We all need a little help from time to time.

Here you'll find useful information, forms and frequently asked questions which will help you manage your mortgage.

To help us get a better understanding of your circumstances, we may ask you to complete our income and expenditure form.

Once we receive your completed form we’ll be in touch to talk through your options. We’ll work with you to make sure your payments are realistic and affordable for you.

If you’ve completed a form for a different lender and none of your details have changed, we may be able to use it. We may ask for more information. Please include your Bank of Ireland mortgage account number on the other lender’s form or in a covering letter.

Completing your form online will mean we can review your circumstances quicker.

Complete online

Alternatively, you can print it yourself or request a copy is posted to you.

Print at home

Request a posted form

The following organisations are charities or UK governmental services that have been set up to specifically help people with their wellbeing or financial needs. Their websites are full of information which include free guides giving tips and suggestions to get you back on track.

Managing your debts

A debt is a sum of money you owe a company for something you’ve bought that you don’t pay for straight away. The amount owed is paid for over a set amount of time. Debts are things like your mortgage, loans, credit cards, overdrafts and catalogues etc.

  • Step Change is a registered debt charity, dedicated to assisting, supporting and advising people in financial difficulty.
  • Payplan is a free debt advice and debt management planning service.
  • National Debtline is a charity providing both online and telephone debt advice.
  • MoneyHelper brings together the support and services of three UK government backed financial guidance providers: the Money Advice Service, the Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise. It provides clear, impartial money advice to help people make the correct choices about their finances.
  • The National Homelessness Advice Service which provides advice to other organisations, has a guide to help with Mortgage payment problems.

Advice on housing and homelessness

  • Shelter is a charity working to ease the distress caused by homelessness and poor housing. Shelter can’t sort out homes for people, but it does give help and advice to anyone in need of one.

Help with wellbeing

  • Mind is a charity providing support and advice to help people to understand and manage their mental health.
  • Mental Health UK brings together the expertise of four charities: Rethink mental illness (England), Hafal (Wales), Support in Mind Scotland and Mindwise (Northern Ireland). They provide support and services for those experiencing mental health challenges with alcoholism, money problems, loneliness and isolation etc.
  • Samaritans is a charity which is available 24/7 to help and support people in a crisis or who may end up in crisis.

General advice

  • Citizens Advice Bureau provides help and advice on consumer rights such as health, benefits, housing, employment, debt, problems with goods or services bought and legal issues.
  • Direct.Gov is the UK government website providing lots of advice on housing, financial support, benefits, debt management and government schemes.

If you’re suffering from financial, domestic or economic abuse and need us to contact you safely to discuss your mortgage, you can let us know how you would like to be contacted and when is a good time by completing this form.

  • What should I do if I am struggling to make my payments?

    Call us on 0345 300 8000* or message us through your hub as soon as possible. Talking to us about your options won’t affect your credit score.

  • Who should I talk to about my financial worries?

    We have a list of organisations that offer free, confidential and impartial financial advice. You can also talk to your mortgage broker.

    If you have already missed a mortgage payment, or you are concerned that you may miss one in the future, let us know by calling us on 0800 169 9722*. We’ll take our time to listen to your situation and offer you the most suitable help.

  • Are there other things I should do if I am worried about paying my mortgage?

    If somebody else is equally responsible for the mortgage payments, or guaranteeing the mortgage, you should tell them what is happening.

    If you have mortgage payment protection insurance, you should check whether it could help with mortgage payments.

    It is also worth checking whether you are eligible for state benefits by contacting the Department for Work and Pensions.

  • Will I get charges if I fall into arrears?

    There may be a charge for administrative and legal costs. We’ll let you know about any charges or costs that you will need to pay. Please see our Tariff of Mortgage Charges for more details. Contacting us early and staying in contact may help you avoid some fees.

  • What will happen if we cannot come to an agreement about my mortgage payments?

    If we can’t agree on what to do next over the phone, then we may send a Field Agent out to meet with you and discuss things with you. This service will be charged to your mortgage account. Depending on the severity of the situation, we may need to start proceedings to repossess your property through the courts.

    The mortgage loan is secured on your home or property. This means it is at risk if you do not keep up with the monthly mortgage payments. Starting court proceedings does not necessarily mean that we will repossess your property. We will try our best to come to an agreement with you. Repossession is absolutely a last resort.

  • What should I do if you start proceedings to repossess?

    We strongly recommend that you attend the court and that you seek independent debt advice.

  • What happens if my home or property is repossessed?

    Before we repossess your home or property, we will give you information about getting in touch with your local authority to see if they can find you somewhere else to live.

    When it comes to the sale, we will sell the property as soon as possible for the best price we can reasonably get. We’ll also give you reasonable time to take your possessions from your home. The money raised from selling your home or property will be used to pay your mortgage and any other loans secured on it. If there is any money left over, we will pay it to you.

  • If the sale does not raise enough money to pay the entire debt, will I need to pay the shortfall?

    Yes, you will need to pay the shortfall. We will let you know the amount as soon as possible. If you bought your home with other borrowers, each of you is responsible for all of the money borrowed. This is true even if you normally only pay part of the mortgage.

    We will take into account your income and outgoings when we arrange a payment plan with you for the shortfall, and you might have to pay the court costs. Not paying off the shortfall could affect your ability to obtain credit in the future.

  • I want to make a complaint as I feel I have been unfairly treated, how do I do this?

    If you think you have been treated unfairly, you can make a complaint. If you have been unhappy with our service, please tell us so we can address your concerns and improve our service.

*Calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. We’re closed on Bank Holidays. 03 calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02). Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call packages.