With rising living costs affecting the nation, it’s natural to be concerned about the future.
Worried about missing a mortgage payment?
Call us on 0800 169 9722* if you’ve missed a mortgage payment, or you’re concerned you may miss one in the future. We’ll listen to your situation and work with you so we can offer you the most suitable help.
When you call, it will help to have your income details and expenses to hand, such as household bills, subscriptions and personal loans/credit cards/store cards or overdrafts. We may ask you to complete our Income & Expenditure form to get a better understanding of your current finances.
Once you contact us and we’ve talked to you about your situation, we’ll:
- Explore practical solutions that you can afford
- Tell you about free debt advice organisations that you can speak to if you need more help.
- Arrange a realistic and affordable payment plan with you that takes into account your financial circumstances and our responsibilities as a lender.
Our promise to you is that we’ll be open and honest with you throughout. Where there are different options, we’ll explain how each will impact you and give you time to consider them. You’ll receive ongoing support with regular reviews to ensure any payment plan remains affordable. If on occasion we may not have any suitable options, we’ll tell you the reasons why.
Is there anything else I need to do?
- If somebody else is equally responsible for the mortgage payments, or guaranteeing the mortgage, tell them about your situation
- Check whether you have mortgage payment protection insurance which could help towards paying your mortgage
- Complete a budget planner which may help you understand your finances better to get you back on track
- It’s also worth checking whether you’re eligible for state benefits by contacting the Department for Work and Pensions.
Remember to get in touch as soon as you can – the sooner you let us know, the easier it will be to help you.
Sometimes circumstances make it difficult for us to keep on top of everything. There are many reasons why people might find themselves under financial strain such as:
- Low income
- Credit card debt
- Little or no savings
- Mental health concerns
- Confusion over finances
Whatever the reason might be, the first step is to let us know. You can send us a message on your hub or call us on 0800 169 9722*.
You could also ask someone to help you manage your mortgage for you:
- Granting third party authority – this is when you ask someone like a friend or organisation to manage your mortgage on your behalf
- Power of Attorney – this is when you ask for long term help from someone, known as an attorney, to actually make decisions for you about your mortgage. For more information visit the government website.
Visit our practical help section for more information.
Our useful information section also provides a list of other organisations which you can turn to for support.
*Calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Lines are open 9am– 5pm Monday to Friday. 03 calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02). Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call packages.