How we can help

When a family member or someone close to you passes away, it can be an upsetting and difficult time – particularly if you need to sort out their finances. We will do our best to help you with some practical suggestions and useful information.


  • Where do I get the Death Certificate?

    Once the death has been registered, the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages will issue the Death Certificate. If you need any help with this, you can find out how to register a death here.

    Was this helpful?
  • What if there is no will?

    If someone dies without making a valid Will, they will have died ’intestate’. If this happens, an Administrator must be appointed to deal with the Estate (rather than an Executor).

    If this is the case, you may need to speak to a Solicitor to help you determine how the deceased’s Estate should be dealt with.

    Was this helpful?
  • Do I need a Solicitor?

    If you’re not sure if you need legal help dealing with the deceased’s Will and Estate, a good place to get free advice and support is the Citizens Advice Bureau.

    If you need a Solicitor, all accredited Solicitors are listed on The Law Society register.

    Was this helpful?
  • If there is a will: What does an executor do?

    The executor administers the will. They are charged with locating the will, applying for probate, collecting all assets, paying any outstanding debts and distributing the assets in accordance with the deceased person’s instructions. There may be one or more executors.

    Was this helpful?
  • What is Probate?

    Probate is the legal process where the Probate Office certifies that the will is genuine and allows the executor to deal with the estate.

    Was this helpful?
  • What happens to current/deposit accounts?

    If the account is only in the name of the deceased person the account will be blocked from the date that we are notified of the death. This means any standing orders or direct debits will be returned unpaid. Direct debits could be from either a credit card or a bank account – and cancelling a credit card or closing a bank account does not cancel a direct debit. You will need to contact all direct debit originators linked to the card or bank account.

    If the account is in joint names you can continue to operate the account after the joint account holder has died. Standing orders and direct debits will continue as before. However, you will need to provide us with a copy of the Death/(Interim) Coroner’s certificate. When this is received we will remove the name of the deceased person from the account. Alternatively, the remaining balance may be paid to you and the account will be closed.

    For queries concerning business current/deposit accounts please contact your local branch or relationship manager.

    Was this helpful?
  • How long will it take to settle a deceased person’s finances?

    As every case is unique, the time needed to finalise your dealings with us can vary considerably. We will work with you to do this as quickly as possible.

    Was this helpful?
  • How do I cancel or change a direct debit (automatic payment)?

    You can cancel a direct debit at any time up to the date of a payment. If you want to stop a direct debit you must write to the originator and to us. If the account is still open, we can provide a list of direct debits still active on the account.

    If the account is already closed, we can provide copies of statements from the last 12 months for both a bank account and a credit card. From that you can identify which organisations you need to contact. This may include gyms, mobile phone companies and insurers. If you are a joint account holder, you can also obtain copies of statements on or by calling 0345 736 5555.

    If you wish to discuss cancelling or changing a direct debit on a deceased customer’s business account please contact your local branch or relationship manager.

    Was this helpful?
  • What happens to credit cards of the deceased?

    If the deceased was the primary cardholder, the card needs to be cancelled, which will cancel any secondary cardholder’s cards automatically. Any balance outstanding is payable as a debt of the estate.

    Was this helpful?
  • The deceased person and I have a mortgage/loan together. What happens to them?

    You will need to continue paying your mortgage and/or loan. Mortgage interest will still accrue on the account until the mortgage is completed. If the deceased had Mortgage Protection Insurance you should contact the provider.

    If you are concerned that you are unable to meet your regular mortgage or loan repayments, please let us know by contacting your branch.

    Was this helpful?
  • What is safe custody?

    In the past we provided a service to keep items securely. This is called keeping items in safe custody or safe keeping. We can carry out a search to find out if the person who has died had anything held in safe custody. We will not know the contents of the safe custody packet.

    We cannot release any items in safe custody until the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration have been granted. If you know that there are items in safe custody, you will need to apply for probate in order to get them. However, the executor or personal representative may visit the branch to view them. If the item that is in safe custody is the original will, this will be released to the executor.

    Was this helpful?
  • What do I do if Bank of Ireland UK is still sending mail?

    It is normal to receive a final statement for any transaction account once it’s been finalised, showing a nil balance. If you continue to receive mail in the deceased customer’s name beyond this point, please contact 0345 736 5555.

    Was this helpful?
  • What happens to business commercial cards of the deceased?

    For queries concerning business commercial cards please contact your local branch or relationship manager.

    Was this helpful?